Thursday, January 17, 2008

Newton's Apples

The cake falls in the oven.
The boy falls off the ladder on purpose and lands on his neck.

There is a construction-papered jar on the desk with
three dollar bills inside so he can get surgery and learn to walk again.

I wake up and forget how to tie my shoelaces,
momentarily. I feel guilt all down my unbroken back when I succeed.

The congregation falls to its knees and the boy prays
to the patron saint of do-overs and the preacher preaches on.

Things fall at once.
The apartments down the street catch fire;

balconies fall onto cars and start a jazz band of alarms.
The boy. Across the country, skyscrapers. Plums fall from their branches

and the crows dash. Summer becomes fall.
The cake I baked for you and you alone falls and

tastes dense, chews tough. I'm sorry it fell and left me
nothing to wish you a happy birthday with

but my own two hands, which are falling to my lap
like wingless birds still learning the limitations of their winglessness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how simple this is.

caroline said...

YES TO THE NEW END

NO TO THE TITLE NOT BEING "CRIPPLES ARE THE NEW BAD BOYS"

Anonymous said...

hello, did you write this?
If so, it's lovely!

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.